ocsb tagline top banner
Text Size: A A A
Quick Access Menu ☰

How to apply to become an international student with the OCSB

The Ottawa Catholic School Board proudly embraces diversity and welcomes students from all countries. We welcome international students at all grade levels in our schools, from Kindergarten to Grade 12. Students from abroad enjoy this opportunity to learn about our culture and make new friends while receiving a quality education in Canada.

Step 1 - Submit your application form and fees

International students wishing to study in Ottawa should first complete an online application form. During the application, you will be prompted to submit a $300 non-refundable application fee.

Complete the online application form

Step 2 - Make arrangements for the payment of tuition fees

International students pay annual tuition fees in order to attend one of our quality OCSB schools. These fees cover the costs of important programs, such as English as a second language (ESL) instruction, if needed. The fees also help pay for essential transportation services, given that the student's residential address meets eligibility requirements. Transportation will be also provided to our high school ESL Centres, even if they are outside the student's attendance boundary.

All payments should be made payable to the "Ottawa Catholic School Board" and should include the name of the student on the method of payment.
Tuition fees
Tuition fees for Kindergarten to Grade 8 - $12,386 per year
Tuition fees for Grades 9 to 12 - $13,386 per year 

Step 3 - Get your letter of acceptance for a study permit

Once you have completed the application form and paid the necessary fees, we will issue a letter of acceptance. International students need this letter in order to obtain a Study Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. A study permit is required for all fee-paying international students. 

Step 4 - Visit the Family Welcome Centre for Newcomers

Accepted international students will be directed to our Family Welcome Centre for an assessment to ensure they receive program options appropriate to their needs.

Temporary residents and exchange students

If you're living in Canada as a temporary resident in any of the following categories, your child is not considered an international student. You will need to register your child for school through our Admissions Department. 

  • work permit
  • study permit, studying in a qualifying program
  • diplomatic status, or official in an Embassy
Many of our high schools participate in student exchange programs with organizations approved by the Board. Fees do not apply to these exchange students. For more information, contact your high school's Student Services office.

Additional resources

Review the policy in our Tuition Reimbursement Application before applying for a refund. Complete the Student Renewal Form to re-register for another year in an OCSB school.